My friend Christy Maines pointed out to me earlier this week that starting next Wednesday I can count on 2 hands the weeks we have until our due date!
*** GASP***
We have had a few milestones in the last 2 to 3 weeks that should be noted!
-We finished our general birth classes, much to my sweet husbands relief. He wasn't so upset about the content of the classes as the night it took up in our week. He was a good husband though and supported my desire to "educate myself" even though women have been doing this about as long as they have been breathing. (Ok - maybe not that long). We still have breathing and relaxation class (a necessary class for those attempting a natural birth) and breastfeeding. A class I am not making my sweet husband sit through.
-We have "hired" a doula. I say "hired" because we don't really directly have to pay for her. UMC offers the services free ( but I'm sure in some indirect way I am paying for it). Pauline taught our childbirth 101 class and won us over with her Irish charm and humor. We were able to request her for our delivery. If you plan on delivering at UMC I highly recommend asking for one prior to your due date. Regardless of your desired birth experience (natural, epidural, c-section ect). Doulas are so helpful in the whole birth process in that they are there to explain your options in a clear- non pressure way and are helpful the day of birth to translate what the medical staff is actually saying when they use all of their crazy medical jargon. They are also useful as an advocate, labor coach, ice chip fetcher and all around cheerleader.
-In light of the recent "hire" we have begun our birth plan. Pauline has really helped me to realize that birth plans are a "wish list". Anything could go not as planned during the birth process and a c-section may become necessary. Its not my wish, but the ultimate goal is a healthy baby and healthy mommy. Writing this birth plan has sort of made me realize that the birth plan is really for the UMC nursing staff and in the event Dr. Babb or Dr. Young cant be there because of another delivery. Also, as I write the plan, I realize that none of what I am requesting is really outside of the normal practice of my doctor anyway. I am so thankful that I know deep in my heart that if he says we have to use drugs, or do a c-section I can trust that he would not prefer that, but feels is medically necessary for mine and Harpers safety. I am so grateful for that trust I can feel. It makes, what could be a scary situation, not so scary!
-Another milestone is my ability to bend over is almost GONE. I mainly wear slip on shoes and flip flops these days. Socks, boots and tennis shoes require me to lay on my back on my bed and roll around like a roly poly. There is a lot of un-lady like grunting involved in the process and it generally takes about 5 minutes to accomplish. When I bend over it feels like something is stuck under my ribs!
My in laws are coming next weekend for my lubbock baby shower. We are pretty stoked about their visit since we haven't seen them in a while!
Salutations Jennys 1117 nashville
3 years ago
1 comments:
Yay for finger counting!!! The roly poly comment made me laugh... I have been calling myself that since I started showing (mostly because Brian made me stop using 'heffer' because it sounded meaner!)
Post a Comment